If you want add something to our growing list or have a story to tell about your neighborhood, building, church, or organization, please contact us.
This landmark district features beautiful row houses of Romanesque Revival and Victorian styles. Few physical changes have occurred in the district since building virtually ceased in the early 1900’s, preserving much of its powerful beauty.
A uniquely designed apartment building that joins Romanesque Revival with the Queen Anne style, the Alhambra was built in 1889 by noted Brooklyn architect Montrose W. Morris.
Built between 1885-1886 by Board of Education (BoE) architect James W. Naughton, and fully developed in 1912 by BoE architect B.J. Snyder, this is the oldest surviving structure in New York City erected as a high school. The design of the Victorian Gothic building focuses on the central entrance pavilion, with its tall cupola. The building now serves as a BoE training center.
Built in 1892 as one of the earliest apartment houses in Brooklyn, the Renaissance was designed by Brooklyn architect, Montrose Morris, who turned to the 16th century chateaux of France’s Loire valley for his inspiration.
The Weeksville Society owns and operates four historic houses dating from 1840 to 1883 which represent the vibrant and self-sufficient 19th century community of free African Americans known as Weeksville. The mission of the Society is to provide stewardship of the four Hunterfly Road houses, and promote the significance of the historical Weeksville community and early African American history in New York. The society offers school tours, family programs, after-school programs and adult programs that interpret the history of Weeksville within the context of the early African American experience through art, literacy, technology and the environment.
1368 Fulton Street (In Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Plaza, ground floor)
Serving some 30,000 people annually for more than 30 years, the award-winning Billie Holiday Theatre provides outstanding theatre at affordable prices. The 200-seat theatre presents 40-week season, and serves as a training ground for aspiring theatre professionals. The original New York producer of many hit shows, the “Billie” has nurtured the careers of Debbie Allen, Tichina Arnold, Samuel L. Jackson, Sam-Art Williams, and many others.
1368 Fulton Street (In Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Plaza, 3rd floor)
Brooklyn’s premier contemporary exhibition space, Skylight Gallery presents a wide range of self-taught, emerging, mid-career and master artists from throughout the African Diaspora. A gathering place and resource for artists and arts groups, Skylight Gallery also organizes off-site exhibitions at various forums. The gallery shop offers a range of crafts, publications, and catalogs.
MoCADA builds awareness for the art, history and culture of the African Diaspora as it relates to contemporary urban issues. Through a mix of art exhibitions, interactive tours, and community outreach programs. MoCADA promotes the art forms that have resulted from the dispersal of African people throughout the Americas, the Caribbean, Europe and beyond.
Sunday Service: 9:30am and 11:00am
A station on the Underground Railroad, Siloam was originally established as a mission in 1847 by Reverend James N. Gloucester, son of an ex-slave who founded Presbyterian among Blacks in Philadelphia. Gloucester purchased the Bedford-Central Presbyterian Church from its dwindling White membership, and founded Siloam in the heart of the Black community. The church rose to prominence during the difficult Depression years, and continues to fight for social justice.
Sunday Service: 11:00am
First African began when some members of the Bridge Street Church broke away in 1885. Growth led the congregation to obtain a larger church on Bridge Street in 1905, where it remained until commercial development and the Black population shift eventually caused its removal. In 1942 the First AME Zion Church took title to the Tompkins Avenue Congregational Church in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area where it continues to serve today.
Newman Memorial United Church
Sunday Service: 11:00am
Founded in 1900 by a small group of Blacks who organized a mission in the Old Embury Church. The new congregation was named after Bishop John P. Newman, known as reestablishing the Methodist Episcopal Church in the South after the Civil War and for laying the groundwork for Dillard University. During the 1950’s and 1960’s, the church is credited with having exerted a pervasive influence on the religious, civic, and political leadership of the Bedford-Stuyvesant area. In 1945, the church moved to its present location at Macon Street and Throop Avenue.NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development (2009) http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/home/home.shtml Pratt Center for Community Development (2009) http://legacy.prattcenter.net/cdc-bsrc.php Bedford-Stuyvesant: A Cultural Heritage. http://www.ibrooklyn.com/fultonfirst